to everyone as Doc Harris, he first came to Wimauma in 1914. He borrowed
two dollars for his train fare from Manatee County. He collected his
first fee, as a doctor after finding a man at the station who needed
medical treatment. He collected 75 cents.
Doc Harris started making house calls
by walking or borrowing someone's horse. He soon procured a horse and
saddle of his own. His first car was a Model T Ford which cost him
Doc Harris had graduated from
Southern College of Medicine and Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia which today
is known as Emory University. He graduated in 1914, the same year he
arrived in Wimauma. His yearly fee at Emory was $5.00 tuition.
He became known for a doctor who
never sent a bill, never kept a patient record and a doctor who would do
Dr. John Henry Harris was laid to
rest at Wimauma's Fellowship Cemetery July 2, 1973.
"Doc Harris" by Jonie Maschek
"Dr. John Henry Harris "by his daughter, Johnnie June Carter